We understand that if your relationship breaks down or there is a significant change in your family life, your children will be a priority. We can guide you through what can be an emotionally difficult process, to ensure you can put the best case forward for your children.

We always encourage you to try and reach an agreement with your spouse or former partner about children matters, but we understand that this is not always possible. If you cannot agree or decide matters for your children, you can apply to the court for a range of orders as long as you have Parental Responsibility for them.

As a mother, you will automatically have Parental Responsibility for your child from birth. As a father, you will have Parental Responsibility if you were married to your children’s mother at the time of their birth or are named on their birth certificates (after a certain date, depending on which part of the UK the child was born in). Other adults may also have, and can obtain, Parental Responsibility for your children, if certain criteria are met.

The children’s welfare will always be the court’s paramount consideration when looking at proposed arrangements for children.

Child Arrangements Order

If you cannot reach agreement about who your children will live, and how much time they will spend with their other parent, you can apply to the court for a Child Arrangements order. This will set out legally binding arrangements for your children, including whether contact should be supervised or indirect and arrangements for special occasions such as birthdays, school holidays and Christmas.

Specific Issue Order

If you cannot reach agreement about a specific issue, such as the school your children will attend, a proposed holiday, or relocation to a different area or different country, you can apply to the court for a specific issue order. The court will then make a legally binding order to determine the issue.

Prohibited Steps Order

If you are worried about your children being removed from their school, home or country by their other parent, you can apply to the court for an order legally prohibiting them from doing so, to protect them.

Parental Responsibility Order

If you do not have Parental Responsibility for your children, or children you care for, you can apply to the court for an order granting you Parental Responsibility.

There is a £215 court fee for issuing a child act application.

For more information, please contact our family law team on
020 3096 7500 or info@pcm-law.net.

  • “I want to thank you so much Sarah for being so calm, professional, compassionate and expeditious. It really helped me a lot through this tough time and it allowed the pre-nup to be much better drafted than if it had just been drafted by the other side!”

    – Mrs L.M, London

    Read more testimonials

  • “It was a stressful situation for me and you made it much easier with how you put me at ease from our first meeting, handled everything along the way and kept me updated (and answered all my many, many questions!!) all the way through. Thanks very much!!!”

    Mrs N.G, Essex

    Read more testimonials

  • Sarah has been very understanding and more importantly very honest throughout this very difficult period. She has been reliable and has always updated me regularly with my options and what the likely consequences will be. I would recommend her services to anyone who wants a honest, clear and no nonsense service.

    Ms R.S, London

    Read more testimonials

  • “Divorce is an unavoidably stressful situation but from the moment PCM took over my case until it was concluded I always felt it was in safe hands and this made it much easier to deal with.”

    – Mr J.H. Yorkshire

    Read more testimonials

  • Caroline, a huge thank you to you and your colleagues for the smooth and sensitive way in which you have handled a very difficult situation. I have always found you friendly, polite, professional yet supportive, knowledgeable and your no-nonsense approach has really been appreciated. I have no hesitation in both using and recommending PCM due in no small part to how good both you (and Paul in the past) have handled my issues. My sincere thanks to you and your team”.

    – Ms T.L, Wimbledon

    Read more testimonials

  • “Caroline has been an extremely amicable solicitor to deal with during a time of immense stress. Suffice to say I have already returned to her for help with other matters.”

    – Mr P.A, London (SE1)

    Read more testimonials